Monday, January 4, 2010

An introduction of sorts...

Helloooooo!

My name is Mike Davis, and I play guitar in JOHN WILKES YOUTH.

This band came about from, of all things, my good friend Richard NJ being very drunk at my old apartment in New Brunswick. In a state of premier drunkitude, Richard brings up to me the idea of starting a band called, of all things, JOHN WILKES YOUTH (Later, I'd learn that it was actually our friend Tom who had implanted the idea in Richard's head, but the story is there all the same). A Youth Crew kinda band.

Well, the only thing I love more than good hardcore is a good pun, so I was down.

Of course, nothing ever came of this for about a year.

In late August or so, Richard came to me with the idea of actually starting a band. Our immediate idea: JOHN WILKES YOUTH. Whoops, forgot to bold that. JOHN WILKES YOUTH. There we go.

Jokingly described by me as a "straight edge and/or vegan hardcore punk rock" band, Richard went out and recruited his friends Justin and Jordan to play bass and drums.

Richard's other band, the tubular Stressed Out was in the process of transitioning from a hardcore band with some thrashy metal influences into a thrashy metal band with some hardcore influences. While Richard loves both of these things, he missed playing plain old hardcore.

At our first practice, it was generally decided upon that we were going to play fun songs that would probably be less than two minutes long. No solo's, no problem. Which is good, cause when I try to solo, I look like this:


Anyway, thirteen or so practices, three or four 4-track recordings, and a full day of demo recording with Metal Tweet later, we've got a five song demo that is about five minutes long, and I've been lucky enough to get a lot of positive feedback (told you I love puns) on.

xoxo
MXD

And don't forget about these:


No comments:

Post a Comment